My mission: do these 101 things in 1001 days.
Start date: 2/10/2013
End date: 11/8/2015
1. Go backpacking by myself
2. Run a 5k Completed 5/10/2013. Read about it here!
3. Compile my family tree
4. Host a dinner party for 8 or more
5. Make a list of 50 things that make me happy
6. Volunteer regularly with an organization for 1 year or more
7. Get a freelance article published
8. Finish “The Ephraim House”
9. Submit “The Ephraim House” for publishing
10. Win another NaNoWriMo
11. Bake a cake from scratch
12. Have a water balloon fight
13. Throw a surprise party Completed 3/23/2013. Read about it here!
14. Write letters to former teachers
15. Visit Washington, D.C.
16. Read a book in Spanish
17. Go horseback riding Completed 2/19/2013. Read about it here!
18. Take a cooking class
19. Take an art class
20. Take a self-portrait
21. Watch a silent film
22. Learn to crochet
23. Go on a road trip
24. Do a yoga head/hand stand
25. Eat locally for one month
26. Go snow-shoeing
27. Learn how to change the oil in my car
28. Mow the lawn (I’ve really never done this!)
29. Eat vegetarian for one month
30. Go to Oktoberfest
31. Learn my blood type
32. Go to a drive-in movie
33. Swim 1500 yards non-stop
34. Complete a New York Times crossword puzzle
35. Watch a sunrise
36. Build a fort
37. Get some letters behind my name
38. Learn to sew
39. Make and use a rain barrel
40. Make homemade ice cream
41. Pay off my student loans – 50% done as of 4/16/13
42. Visit a state I have never been to
43. Zip line
44. Donate to cleft lip/cleft palate organization
45. Paint a room in my house Completed 8/12/2013. Read about it here.
46. Go on a bike camping trip
47. Visit a farm
48. Try venison
49. Go ice fishing
50. Finish wedding scrapbook
51. Cheer on a friend in a triathlon (or marathon, ironman, etc.)
52. Make my own hummus Completed 3/09/13. Read about it here!
53. Make my own peanut butter
54. Try 10 new beers
- 54-1: Smitten Golden Rye Ale from Bell’s. I was drawn to this one because I love Bell’s Brewery and it had a daisy on the label. But it turns out it’s also delicious! It’s a little more bitter (rhyme intended) than I usually like, but overall very drinkable & summery.
- 54-2: Tallgrass Halcyon Wheat. We actually brewed a clone of this without knowing there was an original! Then I was in the liquor store a few days later, saw it, and obviously had to pick it up. The Tallgrass version is refreshingly hoppy for a wheat beer—hopefully ours comes out just as delicious!
- 54-3: Rolle Bolle from New Belgium. Dr. O picked out this summer ale. It’s tasty, but I mostly like it for the name. I mean, how can you not be happy drinking a Rolle Bolle?
- 54-4: Farm Girl Saison from Liftbridge Brewing Company. Two things I love: Minnesota small breweries and saison. Win!
- 54-5: Brynhilders Gift Plus from Olvalde Farm and Brewing Company. This little brewery is run by one man (with help from his wife). The beer was delicious, with a hint of mint and juniper. Tasted like a Minnesota field—in a good way.
55. Wear a sparkle skirt
56. Send 12 birthday cards through the mail
- 56-1: Caitlyn (2/15/13)
- 56-2: Devin (2/15/13)
- 56-3: Missy (5/18/13)
- 56-4: Rachel (5/21/13)
- 56-5: Abby (6/7/13)
57. Visit Chicago
58. Go on a gratitude visit (16:50 in this video)
59. Visit a UNESCO world heritage site
60. Go stargazing Completed 8/3/2013 in Necedah, WI.
61. See all of the Academy Awards Best Picture nominees for the year
62. Learn how to change a tire on my car
63. Visit another continent
64. Try a Bloody Mary
65. See Lake Superior Completed 7/11/2013. Post(s) upcoming!
66. Eat at the Rainbow Cafe in Pine Island, MN
67. Visit a Pizza Farm
68. Go to 5 new Minnesota State Parks
69. Visit the Gasthaus Bavarian Hunter in Stillwater, MN
70. Visit the Aroma Pie Shoppe
71. Make cinnamon rolls from scratch
72. Take a day trip up the Mississippi River and visit Harbor View Cafe and the Pickle Factory
73. Make a dish using only CSA box ingredients
74. Preserve/pickle vegetables that I grow in my garden Completed 8/6/2013. Read about it here! 75. Listen to all of the Stuff You Should Know podcasts Completed 5/12/2013
76. Let go of a floating lantern
77. Brew hard cider
78. Re-watch a movie I haven’t watched in more than 15 years
79. Re-read a book I haven’t read in more than 15 years Completed 5/28/2013. Read about it here!
80. Go skinny dipping
81. Make a kite and fly it
82. Make an entire outfit and wear it
83. Fast for a day
84. Earn/give 100,000 grains of rice on freerice.com
86. Play an entire game of Monopoly
87. Read all of the books I own but haven’t actually read yet
88. Beat Dr. O at cribbage
89. Play 9 holes of golf
90. Go on a writing retreat
91. Take a writing class
92. Drive Dr. O’s car from our house to my parents’ house
93. Go to a UW Madison football game
94. Go to a St. Paul Saints game
95. Visit a new National Park
96. Win a contest
97. Go on a tour of the J.R. Watkins Museum
98. See the Jeffers Petroglyphs
99. See frozen Minnehaha Falls
100. Visit an Amish community
101. Go to a play at the American Players Theatre in Spring Green, WI
If you want to create a 101 Things list of your own, check out the nice date calculator here!